As some of you know, Tweede's motor was starting to make the dreaded "chimpmunk" noises as Steve calls them. So I dropped her off at NFB to get it replaced.

After riding just under 30km with the new motor, there are some real differences, and as a few of you have chimpmunks or have had chipmunks, I thought I would break down the more noticable ones.

I think the easiest way to describe X2 is that it is more like an extension of your riding than the XT.

1. Eco pretty much the same. Just like riding with a good tailwind.
  2. Normal doesn't "kick" the same way as the XT did. It is much smoother. Also, it is more responsive to your pedalling than just going for it.
  3. Boost kicks the same way, but again it is more reponsive to your pedalling - less of a pulling sensation, more of an increased glide.
  4. It feels like the bike has been geared lower with the motor engaged (at any power level).
  5. Really responds to you putting the pressure on and it feels stronger going up hills (especially the Steep Up to the veloway).
  6. I think it is marginally quieter, but the XT wasn't very noisy anyway.
  7. You have to work more to get more out.
  8. Overall a smoother ride.

Today is my second day riding with the new motor, and I am becoming used to the new style of riding that comes with the X2. Because it is more responsive to how you hard you are pedalling, you can't do the cruisy pedal up an incline and make the motor do most of the work, it is more like 50/50 now whereas before it was more like 60/40. Not a huge difference but certainly a noticable one.

Any other questions, please let me know.

Here's hoping that Tweede 2.0 lasts longer than the 1830km that the original motor did.

Views: 1131

Replies to This Discussion

Pink shirt ready and waiting!

Cool!

As for the controller, it is IN the motor sot he XT to X2 motor is a direct swap. The XT motor was a 'first version' of the increased torque motor and while some people have had no issues, there have been some which have been causing problems... more than once. Structurally it was much more complicated (and therefore prone to issues) than the standard Innergy motor which was very simple with no gearing internally.

Fortunately Gazelle Australia is ring backed up by Gazelle NL and they are replacing them under warranty. Very good support sot hats good to know.

The X2 is still new but I think they've learned a lot from the XT so hopefully it will be fine. It has been redesigned from the ground up and (I think) being manufactured by a different company (in Germany IIRC)

Rumour has it that the reason for the name change was because Shimano was going to sue Gazelle for using the term 'XT', which Shimano had already branded some of their gear with.

Another discovery, I am using less battery. I wasn't sure I was yesterday (as Tweede was nekkid) but today with her whole accoutrement ensemble attached, the cell ticked down about 1km further down the commute that it used to. Not a huge difference, but again, noticable.

I have also noticed that Normal and Boost are much more responsive in higher gears - which matches the new sensor I suppose.

Cheers

Taez

Well my 2012 Gazelle Innergy XT motor seems to have died- made very loud and crunchy noises last night in all power modes, fortunately only 500m from home. I suspect my XT, original motor, is possibly the longest lasting one in Brisbane!

Anyway, what to do..... I suspect save up for a new e-bike or decide if I really need an e-bike.

My e-bike is my shopping bike and I regularly carry heavy loads of groceries, it is also my sweat free summer bike when I need to be presentable at the end of my ride.

So, in terms of motors, is it even possible to get an X2 motor to replace this failed XT motor? Are X2 any better? My battery is also the original, 5 years old, will probably die as well soon.

Should I just bite the bullet and buy new or near new with a mid drive Bosch or Impulse motor?

And how much for a new fork to convert my current Innergy into a non e-bike? Or do I just scrap it??

So many questions!!

I'm going to hopefully beat Steve to the punch but this is the downside of ebikes. Unlike normal bikes they have a lot less lifespan as when the motor dies (out of warranty) the bike is effectively dead. The cost of motor replacement is around the $1000 mark - and who wants to spend that on a 5 year old ebike (where the battery is starting to also diminish). The sad truth with ebikes is that I think you have to assume a 4-5 year life span and make sure that the full cost of the ebike over that time period is worth it for you.

Terry if I was you I think you should bite the bullet and get a new ebike - particularly since you use it as a sweat free summer bike. I think sticking with the current mid drive Bosch is a good choice given the number of them out there (easier for servicing). Mind you Shimano is starting to come out strong with their ebike motors and pricing - eg: for $2900 http://www.99bikes.com.au/cube-cross-hybrid-one-400-black-blue-2018

As for the current bike. Taezar converted hers to a non-ebike before selling but I believe it was not a cheap process and I dont know if it makes sense on a strict financial basis. I would be assuming its scrap.

It actually gets used almost daily, pretty much if it is only me going somewhere, I go via the bike- normally the ebike for it's ease of use. 

The Financial controller has just said replace it, most retirees buy flashy cars or caravans- I'd be happy with the bike. The last one worked out at $600 per year, that's cheaper than a mobile phone!

I do like the Gazelles, but there are other brands to research, but the heart does lean toward Gazelles- a complete package. 

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service