I'll start.

Does anyone know anything about this accident?   http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/three-cyclists-hospitali...

Views: 950

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Only that wankers on facebook are wankers. 

Yep.

I rode past that accident as the last ambulance was packing up and heading to the hospital. It occurred on Highgate Hill, just around the pedestrian crossing, just before the hill. It was pretty wet from the Corso to the top of the hill. It was bin day around that area, so it is possible the Garbo left a bin protruding into the bike lane, but I would suggest this mornings crash was more to do with the slippery nature and just misjudging an obstacle.  

Report I read from the group said that the bin was out too far, the first few riders avoided it, but the next rider clipped it and fell, taking down 2 other riders with her. 

River Loop Sat March 4,

the stop and go-oligist informed me Glen Rd is closed t assemble a big arse [my words] crane onto the construction site.

So cyclists -

-clockwise on the road Brisbane  Benson St to Coro Dr

- anti-clockwise on the footpath/road

enjoy

https://ecf.com/news-and-events/news/helmet-law-repealed-bosnia-and...

Looks like MHL can be repealed if bike advocate groups push for. But I guess we've only got BQ and they don't seem to care about "more people cycling more often" unless it's at their events & paid for.

I won't get into a debate over this as It's a personal choice and I would always wear a helmet on a two wheeler anyway, as I've seen what happens when you do hit your head when you fall, and if the government was serious about head injuries then they wouldn't discriminate just against cyclist/motorcyclists.

Just think about the gravel rash that they save you from if you do slide along the ground on your head after you fall.

A friend recently crashed at about 60kph and hit his head and destroyed his helmet and cracked a bone at the base of his skull, had he not been wearing a helmet he may not still be here. The helmet may have possibly caused the cracked bone as it was just at the back of the helmet but it certainly saved him from further brain damage and gravel rash and abrasions on his head. His doctor said that not many people with this injury walk away. Some medical staff on this forum might disagree but that is their opinion.

Perhaps wearing a helmet should be a personal choice as it is in a lot of other countries but always remember the consequences if you do ride without one.

Lets hope that the Medical Insurance companies never consider cycling without a helmet as a higher risk and put up their premiums to cover it as some already do with high risk activities in travel insurance.

The problem is people read what you've just stated - and think cycling "cycling is really dangerous so I'll give it a miss". I'm of the opinion that not cycling is far far more dangerous. 

Ironically, in any other country in the world, cycling with a helmet is seen to be the higher risk kind of cycling - and indeed helmet wearers are more likely to be injured than those cycling without a helmet  who we would consider to be utility cyclists here. I guess that's the paradox of the law.

I personally would probably wear one almost all of the time even if I had the choice. However, I empathise with so many who don't cycle because of the helmet law. And I think that when viewed as a population - any trip cycled results in fewer health problems overall. 

Yes Steve some might consider it dangerous but there are risks in everything we do in life, and most of the people on here already cycle so I don't think my statement would change that. I made the above post for those that might not think of the consequences of cycling without a helmet or gloves or any other protective gear. More people receive head injuries in cars than cycling.

As for overseas cycling I've been there and done that as many others have, and the biggest difference is the mindset of the motoring public, especially in the cities where I found the car drivers much more tolerant of cyclists. Changing drivers attitude is what is needed over here. Better infrastructure would also help us.

I also would wear a helmet even if I had the choice, but I believe if people really want to do something then a compulsory helmet or wearing a seat belt ( which people complained against when that was first made a law) won't stop them.  Helmet hair is not a valid excuse. I totally agree with your last sentence. 

Overseas attitudes are much better & if we didn't have MHL the bogans in crappy unregistered / illegally modified Commodors or concerned old ladies wouldn't be saying "wear a helmet". Every weeek I get some bogan yelling about me not having a helmet. Without MHL they wouldn't have anything to justify yelling at me although some would still say something.

I had a long interesting conversation at Bunnings with one Liberal voter looking older lady & bent old husband when she commented to me completely out of the blue about wearing a helmet as I was getting on my bike. I pointed out to her that car drivers suffer 50x more brain damage cases than cyclists so why doesn't she wear a helmet in her car. Slips & trips in houses or even when walking are a far higher risk for her etc. So she should be wearing a helmet if she is that worried about brain injury. It was a decent conversation, she actually listened, remembered that as kids they had ridden everywhere without major incident, accepted the points and learnt something.

MHL did reduce cycling by 30-40% mostly in school & local shops type trips that are not done on heads down arse up race bikes at 60kmh. Seatbelts unfortunately didn't stop people driving cars so much. I wish seatbelt laws had encouraged people to catch busses and trains (no seat belts) instead.

Yes Ride2Wk, I've touched on some of your points in my posts and I agreed with most of it. MHL did stop a lot of shopping trips as it's easier to just drive. School trips dropped off more from parents concerns about the road safety than MHL, and now drive the kids to school adding to the problem.

People have got used to wearing seatbelts and are too dependant on cars to change their attitude to public transport. Unfortunately cycling is often considered a recreational activity and not a means of transport. If the bogans can't complain about you not wearing a helmet they will find something else. I get yelled at for just being on their road.

If MHL's were in when I was a teenager I might not have had to have the top of my ear sewn back on, because we still hit our heads back then as well.

No David,this is not a debate we are all just making some points.   

RSS

Community Ads

Sponsors

© 2017   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service