Let's see if a place for links to various cycling-related posts (not quite requiring entirely new threads each time) is any good. It might also be a handy place to collect links that would otherwise get buried amidst other interesting conversation but I guess we'll see how it rolls.

In the spirit of sharing all that is good and holy, I'll start with a link (with an excellent short read) I've just stolen via Paul Martin:

Observations by a Dutchman in Australia: Why Cycling is Not Taking Off in Sydney [2012-03-17 | ~900 words]

Views: 31430

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

+1 to both of you :)

Actually car driving is subsidised more than PT. If I was a member of the LNP & a rich car driver I would want the costs of driving to go up and the cost of PT to go down! Because that way less people would drive so I would have less traffic congestion and fewer bogan idiots on drugs in cars to have to avoid on the roads!

1/ 85% of Australia's roads are council roads paid for mostly by our council rates & charges NOT rego or fuel excise.

2/ State roads are only about 15% of Australia's roads and Qld spends $8.5b / yr on roads for about 3.5M registered vehicles which is about $2,500 / vehicle / year  which is far more than rego. Don't forget also that car rego is mostly crash insurance & administration to control dangerous vehicles.

The NSW RTA valued the net benefit of cycling at 28.7c per bicycle

kilometre in urban areas. Even with the relatively low levels of cycling in

Sydney (less than 2% of all trips), the estimated economic benefit to

Sydney was $81m per year. (NSW RTA, 2003).

Queensland Transport - Things to consider

• The transport sector is the fastest growing source of greenhouse gas emissions. Cycling 10 km each way to work would save 1500  kg of greenhouse gas emissions each year.
  • Bicycles offer door-to-door service and are often quicker than cars over short distances up to five kilometres.
  • For every car trip replaced with a bike ride, the community saves 60 cents per kilometre.
  • Up to 20 bicycles can be stored in the space required for one car.

Qld Transport cycling webpage.

Instead of seeing cycling & PT as "greenie" transport, the LNP should see cars as an expensive luxury for only those that can afford to pay the price.

Fantastic article about Seville going from traffic jams to cycle focused.
My favourite part:

“Political will is essential. Sometimes politicians want to check first if the idea works, for instance making one or two isolated bike paths before making a stronger decision. But isolated cycle paths are almost useless if they’re not connected, making a network from the beginning. Therefore people don’t use them and the politician becomes disappointed.”
And
The figures certainly stack up in terms of investment return: the €32m cycle network carries 72,000 cyclists on weekdays compared with the city’s underground system, which cost €600 million and carries 40,000 people daily.

http://lcc.org.uk/pages/seville-goes-dutch

I quite liked this quote

Calvo, under his consultancy Estudio MC, views the city as a living organism, and believes that cycle lanes need to be where people will use them for entire journeys - ie, along existing routes, rather than where it’s convenient for motor traffic.

Good stuff, this is actually one of the cities I collected data on (thanks CycloCity ...)

I chose the four CycloCity cities with the number of stations just less and just more than Brisbane.

For the month of December 2012, using the same 3% redistribution factor as Brisbane (it might be higher in the other cities ...)

Brisbane, 151 stations, 0.28 trips / bike / day

Seville, 259 stations, 2.73 trips / bike / day

Marseille, 120 stations, 1.34 trips / bike / day

Toulouse, 243 stations, 2.18 trips / bike / day

Nantes, 102 stations, only have 1 and 2 December :( - 1.67 and 2.38 on those days

The six CycloCity schemes bigger than Brisbane are Seville, Toulouse, Valencia (275 stations), Brussels (284 stations), Lyon (342 stations), and Paris (1206 stations).

In a way, having our public bike hire scheme being severely under-utilised is the equivalent of a poor piece of disjointed infrastructure. It sends the message that it is a waste of money, both in the eyes of the not-yet-cycling public and the politicians they vote for. That is not good for cycling at all.

+1

It frustrates me that so much of Brisbane's cycling 'infrastructure' (or bicycle safe route) is just this - fragmented & indirect. It's hardly going to encourage people to ride.

I class the 'green stripes of death' at intersections in this category, particularly when they disappear shortly after the intersection (which is what happens 99% of the time)!

+1 Paul. I really wanted to ride with the kids to the boondal wetlands path today but I just can't work out an easy way without some road riding. Would be great if all the infrastructure was connected.

Yes, and it doesn't need to be all special infrastructure. If connecting roads have no room for separated infrastructure then serious consideration should be put into ensuring that they have low speed limits (40km/h or lower) and limited through access so car traffic will be minimal. That's how they do it in NL and it works brilliantly. Then the more cyclists you have using it, particularly children, the safer it becomes for everyone.

I rode the Boondall wetlands with my kids last Wednesday, but from Brookfield I had to drive to the start.  The kids enjoyed the ride very much though so do it, even if you have to drive to your start location.

Train to Toombul (or even Boondall) is the way to go... except you don't have trains near your home. :(

Yeah that's the conclusion I've come drive to either the Kedron brook from Toombul or from the Boondal side.

RSS

Community Ads

Sponsors

© 2016   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service