Hi all,

I'm considering getting a bike to commute to work, however I haven't ridden a bike for 20 years and I'll only consider it if I can avoid busy/stressful/dangerous roads.

I'll be starting at 7th Brigade Park (just to the NE of the Chermside shopping centre) and travelling to Town Hall (City Hall?) in the city on Ann st. How would I go about figuring out a good route? Happy to ride a few kms further if it means a safer route. I'll be riding between 6-7am, coming home after 7pm.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Views: 198

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There are plenty of northside commuters on here who will be able to give you good advice, however here is my route to and from the city.

I would recommend the return route from the city on this strava activity as a good inbound route as well, but others may offer some fine tuning. I live at Carseldine, but you can pick it up from the Chermside area and see what you think.

Cheers. https://www.strava.com/activities/953980145

My quiet route from the outer north to the King George Square  via 7th Brigade Park, designed to avoid known issues like the Kittyhawk Drive intersection. I haven't been riding much this year due to a knee injury, but if you're keen I am prepared to accompany you if we can tee up a suitable day.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/16689422

Thanks for the help guys, and apologies for the late reply.

I did eventually get a bike and I have now done the commute a few times, based on both suggestions above. It's all been going well, nice and safe with minimal time around busy roads.

Thanks again for the help, it was enough to push me over the line and get me riding!

Fantastic!  Good work Sam.

Great to hear. Which route have you ended up using?

Way to go, Team!

By the way, I ended up following Playdoughs route more or less exactly, at an average speed of 20-22kph. I can tell I have a long way to go with my cycling fitness (hoping to go faster!), but even now it's not taking much longer than the bus which is good.

Good stuff Sam

..and all the support crew

I commute from Clayfield, and pretty much follow the same route from near Wooloowin station to the CBD.  I only average about 22km/h inbound on my commuter bike.  It's the slowest of all my regular rides.

I think that it's just a bit too stop-start to go a lot faster.

Interesting, perhaps I should temper my speed aspirations. I'm working on minimising unnecessary braking, being more aerodynamic (flat bar road bike), and maintaining more speed up the hills, but perhaps the stopping and starting will be the main limiting factor.

People on bikes are not like cars (or maybe they are!). Every time you stop and start on a bike it knocks your average around and takes a lot from the rider. 

Good going Sam. 'Tis a joy to commute by bicycle.

RSS

Community Ads

Sponsors

© 2017   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service